Today we interview Larry Melton, Founder and CEO of The Building People, a leader in real estate solutions. They seek to integrate technology, buildings, and people in order to solve complex challenges for building owners, occupiers, and stakeholders.
Larry’s career began with GSA. He worked up the ranks, and was newly appointed as the Facilities Manager of the White House on September 11th, 2001. This was a pivotal moment for Larry as he led a team of nearly 300 employees and contractors through a transformational time for not only our nation, but also for Larry as well.
After 20+ years supporting the Federal Government, Larry launched The Building People, and has seen year-over-year growth and success over the past seven years. Their focus is simple: technology, buildings, and people.
Their continued growth has moved them up the ranks of the Inc. 5000, placing them at #318 for 2020, and #15 for the state of Virginia. Their boldness was also recognized in 2018 as a Moxie Award Winner.
So what does Larry credit their success to, and where is he going next? You’ll found out today, along with the following items:
- The launch strategy, including the vision and roadmap to growing the business
- Building a business, and the infrastructure required for further growth
- Their focus on being a people-first company, as the lifeblood of solving complex problems, and continuing to grow your people.
- How talent optimization and company culture can go hand in hand.
- The problems of today for building owners and occupiers across real-estate, facilities, energy, portfolio management, and technology
- Life as a business owner living, working, and playing in Loudon County
- Where Larry and the team are heading
We hope you enjoy this episode.